In the best thing to happen to reggae since passing the dutchie on the left hand side, Snoop Dogg and Diplo recently announced that they’re working on a reggae album. Like peanut butter and jelly, a Snoop Dogg reggae album, brings together two iconic, fiercely individual, Ganja-loving institutions to create a sum better than its parts. Diplo is executive producing the album and collaborating on it with DJ Switch and their dancehall project Major Lazer. After breaking through with M.I.A. on the Piracy Funds Terrorism mixtape in 2004, Diplo has been on a steady tear with his hands on everything from Beyonce’s “Run This World (Girls)” to Usher’s “Climax” to Justin Bieber’s new album. Calvin Broadus’s alter ego, the man better known as Snoop Dogg, has come all the way from being a Crip gang member to baking mystery brownies with Martha Stewart. Since his debut on Dr. Dre’s The Chronic in 1992, Snoop’s unique cadence and flow have memorialized him as one of the godfathers of West Coast G-funk. Fans and detractors alike at least recognize the man’s God-given gift for absurdity. Snoop is gifted with the effortless cool that comes with doing his own thang, no matter how bizarre, tasteless or trivial. When Snoop does it, at least it’s funny. When he’s not scouring the Jamaican country side for fresh nuggs, this is how the man behind Doggystyle has been keeping things real…
– Snoop is set to appear on Dre’s new album Detox, whenever it comes out.
– Snoop recorded a track with number one crazy Charlie Sheen called “Passion and Lunacy.”
– Former Senator Alan Simpson called him Snoopy Snoopy Poop Dog in a televised interview.
– Snoop plays a porn director in a new movie with James van der Beek and Antonio Banderas called The Big Bang.
– Snoop guested on a track by Nickelodeon boy band Big Time Rush, because moms love his cross-over appeal.
– Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa are filming a movie called High School (of course they are). They were recently banned from filming at Mira Costa High School after a video leaked of Snoop sitting on a desk in a classroom rapping about having sex with mothers. Pictures of students and the school’s principle posing with Snoop Dogg surfaced on the internet.
– Snoop was legally banned from the UK and Australia. When the UK ban was lifted, Snoop returned there to officially launch his latest album from a strip club.
– Snoop is the official spokesperson for Pabst and Colt 45’s Blast, a 12-percent alcohol drink that comes in raspberry-watermelon and blueberry-pomegranate flavors and is sold in cans as large as 23.5 ounces. The Rev. Paul Scott blasted Snoop for promoting the drink which he hilariously referred to as “Genocide Juice.”
– Prince Harry tried to get Snoop for Prince William’s stag party.
– Snoop is releasing a lyric book made of rolling papers with the words printed in non-toxic ink. The book’s front cover is a match striking surface.